Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2009

My Personal Luxe

I was playing a vocabulary game with my students the other day and we came across the word “luxe”.  It got me thinking.  I have a few very inexpensive “luxe” items that make me happy.  Some of them get me lots of compliments
1.    a  pair of terrific equestrian style boots.  Mine are almost flat and super comfortable.  They come up high on the leg – almost to the knee.  They have a tiny bit of understated detailing at the ankle that gives them a little classy edge.  Oh, and they’re brown, not black
2.    Leather gloves:  I seriously collect these.  I hunt all the time at TJMaxx, Marshalls, Loehmans, and the clearance tables at department stores.  I love good leather gloves.  I look for superb details and a good fit.  As soon as the weather turns cold (its starting to) I’ll be wearing them every day.  They always look terrific and they kick up a bargain basement outfit any time.
3.    A faux fur vest;  I can’t tell you how many compliments this has gotten me.  It’s a cheap clearance item from Dress Barn from quite a few years back, but it looks fantastic.  I’ve had women stop me on the street and inquire about the tailor who cut down my coat for me (its hard not to snicker).  All fall long, this looks terrific.  Its just warm enough.  A pair of jeans and a button down shirt suddenly become elegant with this over them. 
4.    Serious sunglasses:  I am prone to migraines if I’m out in bright sunshine without dark glasses, so I’ve taken to the Jackie O look with the big dark sunglasses.  I love them and they always garner compliments. 
5.    Ooh-La-La Undergarments:  These garner lots of compliments too – but only from one person.  There is something about wearing elegant undies that makes you feel fantastic.  And it shows --- your undies aren’t what shows – the terrific feeling is what shows.  It gives you a certain “je nais se quois” that makes everything a little more chic and elegant.  

0 comments: