Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Personal Luxe: Revisited


 So since I started thinking about luxe and luxury this past week, I did some scrounging around online and came up with a few quintessential luxury items.  You know me, I’m not springing for the luxury price tag – nope I’m looking for luxury on a shoestring. 
1.    Pearls – I don’t care if it makes me seem like an old lady ---(It doesn’t) pearls are a girls best friend.  They’re way more affordable than diamonds.  Faux pearls look far more real than faux diamonds.  They look gorgeous with all kinds of things.  I saw a young woman in the grocery store the other day wearing a simple buttoned up sweater (1950’s style) in pale pink, a black pencil skirt and a mass of faux pearls.  Do I even need to tell you how fantastic she looked?
2.    A croc purse:  Again, faux croc looks just fabulous.  And a croc purse always looks luxe.  I look for big statement type bags --- in subdued colors (none  of this neon or flashy stuff, thank you).  It always comes off as classy and elegant and it looks like it costs way more than it really does. 
3.    Good leather shoes:  I do the cheapie Walmart shoes for cute and fun shoes, but for serious leather shoes, I hunt the sale racks at Lord and Taylor.  I want good leather shoes that will hold up over time.  Its subtle, but it shows. 

I’m also looking for luxury in my private space.  I want to feel luxuriously pampered and indulged ---
1.    cashmere socks – nothing is so soft on the tootsies – and warm, warm warm. 
2.    A silk slip --- yes, yes, I know – slips are so not “in” anymore.  Don’t’ believe me?? Try finding a slip.  It takes some doing.  You don’t just walk into a department store and buy a slip anymore.  So finding and wearing a silk slip is a personal bit of luxury.  It feels great against the skin and it makes your dresses look better on the outside.
3.    A terrific white t shirt:  these are hard to find. Its easy to find a cheap, ill fitting white t shirt – just buy a bag of men’s underwear.  But to find a super great t shirt that fits right without spending an arm and a leg – that’s rare.  If you find one that does wonders for your body – buy a dozen!!  I had a terrific one from Target a few years back – I bought 3 or 4 at the time.  I’m down to just one that’s still in good condition.  I might cry when I have to go shopping for a new one, because I know its not going to be fun.

0 comments: