Search This Blog

Monday, October 05, 2009

Squash Soup

I’m experimenting with squash soup recipes --- here’s my latest try from a neighbor’s recipe (I don’t know where she got it from)

1 tbs olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 apple peeled and chopped
2 packages of frozen butternut or other winter squash (I’ll be modifying this to use fresh squash – I can’t bear the idea of spending extra money on the frozen stuff)
1 can of vegetable broth (I’ll be using stock from the freezer)
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1 cup apple cider
1 cup of cream

heat the oil in a large pot.  Add the onion and cook until softened.  Add the apple and continue cooking about 5 minutes.  Add the next 4 ingredients.  Boil and then reduce heat.  Simmer for 15 minutes.  Remove from heat and cool slightly

Process soup in batches until smooth using an immersion blender.  Add in apple cider and cream.  Re-heat over low heat, stirring constantly until heated through.


0 comments: