Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day: Hungarian Style

It’s St Patrick’s Day!!  Are you wearing green?? I actually forgot my green until I started this post --- and went ARRRGGGHHHH!!  I quickly ran upstairs for something with a little touch of the Irish in it. 
No, we’re not Irish ourselves, but isn’t everyone Irish today??? That’s what my favorite Irishman tells me anyway. 
I’ve moved my menu plan around a little bit (I didn’t factor in St. Patrick’s Day when I made the plan) so we’re having broiled fish and Hungarian cabbage and noodles for supper (sorry Sean, that’s as close to and Irish meal as we’re going to come – it does have cabbage!!)
For those of you looking for a way to serve the super-cheap cabbage this week (especially those of you not overly fond of the traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage – that would be us) I thought I’d share my friend Esther’s Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles with you:   

Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles
Ingredients:
1 large head of cabbage cored and sliced into thin ribbons
1 tsp salt
3 tbs oil (she said vegetable oil, I used olive oil)
1 tbs sugar (I cut this down a little bit)
1 onion, diced
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 package of egg noodles (get the good ones for this recipe)

Salt the cabbage and let it rest for a half an hour --- this will help to drain some of the excess water out of it.  Blot it with paper towels to get the drained water. 

Heat the oil in a skillet and add the sugar --- gently brown the sugar.  Add the onions and the cabbage and sauté gently for about 20 minutes.  Be sure to stir them frequently – we don’t want charred onions. 

Season with the pepper to taste.

Transfer all of this to a large bowl and keep warm.
Follow the directions on the package to cook the egg noodles – you’ll want to undercook them just a tiny bit --- al dente sort of . 

Add the noodles and the cabbage mixture together.

Serve with fish or pork or chicken (Esther says beef too, but I like it better with a white meat or fish)

0 comments: